Manufacturing Engineer I
February 1st, 2019
This role supports new product development and the development of a lean culture with robust problem-solving in all plant operations. Included are responsibilities for the improvement of existing products and processes, as well as serving as the manufacturing engineering representative in the launch of new products and processes. The ability to apply lean manufacturing philosophies and tools to a manufacturing setting is required.
The Manufacturing Engineer will participate in planning and reviewing activities and help to make adjustments to processes, environments, tools, etc. in order to make project teams more effective and capable of producing higher quality deliverables tightly aligned with business needs.
The team member must demonstrate creativity, versatility, personal accountability, contributor aptitude and drive to foster continuous improvement. The team member will play a key role in allowing the company to meet stated product development objectives while continuously learning how to be more responsive to rapidly changing business conditions through the ongoing application of principles and practices of multiple agile frameworks.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- 3+ years of automotive or office furniture manufacturing experience.
- Product Development / Launch experience (e.g. DFA/DFM, PFMEA, capacity planning).
- Experience with tooling, fixture and equipment design for assembly.
- Exposure and experience with agile product management (Scrum)
- Provide manufacturing engineering direction for new product launches and existing product changes using established design tools (PFMEA, DFA/DFM, Business Plan, Capacity Plan, and Ergonomic Assessment). This includes:
- Labor requirements
- Tooling, fixture and equipment specification
- Process routing creation
- Safety and ergonomic injury mitigation
- Process validation
- Manufacturing readiness runs
- Lead and/or support cross-functional teams to complete assigned priorities.
- Manufacturing engineering responsibility for internal tooling, fixtures, equipment, product design, floor layout.
- Maintain Manufacturing Engineering specific tools, templates and standards.
- Meet or exceed manufacturing Key Performance Indicators.
- Routine project reporting.
Essential Job Functions and Skills include, but not limited to, the following:
- Lead support personnel and facilitate the resolution of issues which impact safety and downtime.
- Specify, develop, procure, and implement internal tooling, fixtures and equipment.
- Proficient in 2D CAD to improve and maintain the manufacturing floor layout.
- Provide recommendations for equipment and tooling Preventative Maintenance.
- Gather, analyze, maintain, and communicate capacity data to determine staffing plans.
- Develop process routing and work instructions for new products or processes.
- Train operators on new products and processes, or major changes to existing products or processes.
- Maintain required documentation according to Light Corporate document control procedures.
- Other functions not outlined in this Position Description as directed by your Manager.
- Work with cross-functional team to assist with product development and speed to market initiatives
- Professional Team player with the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Travel may be required, appearance and communication are essential in all representations of Light Corp.
- Self-starter and highly motivated.